Monday, November 26, 2007

Day 17 - Karak - Aqaba

Majestic landscapes is how I can describe today's ride, we set off from Amman at 9:00am, taking the coastal road to the Dead Sea, the weather was exquisite, we passed by the newly opened Movenpick resort with excellent amenities and surroundings worth taking the kids to, on a vacation. We continued to Karak, An ancient Crusader stronghold, situated on a hilltop about 1000 meters above sea level and is surrounded on three sides by a valley. Karak commands a magnificent view of the Dead Sea. A city of about 20,000 people has been built up around the castle, I did have enough time to view the place, due to our tight schedule. After Karak we headed down towards Dana Reserves and took the Desert Road to Aqaba, the wind was chilling and as usual I broke away from the pack.

One incident was about to end this journey for me today, was a flock sheep on the motorway, that appeared out of nowhere that made my heart sink to the abyss of my stomach, as I applied the brakes in vein, I managed to pass between 2 sheep within an opening of less than a meter.

P1012444 P1012447
P1012456 P1012459
P1012465 P1012467

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you missed the sheep!

When I lived in Amman, the shepherds and their sheep were sacred. No matter how much traffic there was on the way to work, if a shepherd wanted to cross, near 4th circle, everything stopped. There was no honking, only peace while the shepherd herded his sheep across the busy six lane highway.